Monday, September 08, 2008

Greg Duffy


Remembering Greg Duffy
Published: Sep 4, 2008
Greg Duffy was quite well known. Not the kind of "well known" that merits a page 1 headline in the New York Times, necessarily, or that prompts heads of state to issue statements of condolence.
But within the worldwide community of Irish traditional music and culture, it was clear that Greg Duffy's sudden death on the night of August 28 was truly of great moment. Indeed, notice of his passing had made it onto the Irish Traditional Music Listserv by 3:37 a.m. on Friday.
Local musician Bill McKenty, who has known Greg and his wife Charlotte for 15 years, posted the announcement. It read, in part:
"… husband, father, friend, photographer and great fan of traditional music and its people, Greg lived within the music, befriending many and opening his heart and home to the music …"
Within the traditional community, Greg Duffy was quite well known indeed, and loved. And now, mourned.
Greg was known for his loving photos of Irish traditional musicians. (A good example is currently posted on the Thistle and Shamrock Web site. It's a remembrance of singer-guitarist Mícheál Ó Domhnaill.) View it here.
He was also renowned for his great hospitality. Many, many road-weary musicians were fortunate to stay in his Jenkintown home.
We asked a few of those who knew him best to share their thoughts and memories. (Of course, you can also offer your comments in the little form that follows.)
Bill McKenty, longtime friend and musician
Greg was always trying to drag me to concerts as i tend not to go to many.
About a year-and-a-half ago, he enticed me to go on my birthday with him and his wife Charlotte to a Flook concert in Wilmington. Michael McGoldrick, one of my favorites, was filling in for Sarah Allen of the band as she'd just had her baby.  I agreed to accompany the Duffys as McGoldrick almost never comes to the US of A.
The Duffys were very well known at venues such as the Cherry Tree, Green Willow and Sellersville. They always had front row seats reserved for them as Greg's wife Charlotte was pretty much confined to a wheelchair.
So we get to the show. I go outside to catch a smoke, and who should bum a butt off me but Michael McGoldrick. We hit it off quite quickly, trading tunes in the "diddly di," lilting kinda way flute players do.
Later, as I was sitting in the front row with the Duffys, McGoldrick would sit next to me in an open chair on sets in which he wasn't playing with the band, and egg the band on from the audience. McGoldrick and Flook were quite the characters.
So at half time, McGoldrick and Greg compared notes and friends and chatted away. Nice concert. At the end they did an encore and went to start the first tune but couldn't remember how it went. Greg looked over to me and said, "You know that," so I hummed a few bars. McGoldrick hears me and goes, "Ah, that's it." He comes over to me, hands me his whistle and shoves me up on stage, much to the horror of the rest of the band, as they didn't know me from Adam.  

After a few awkward moments they ascertained that i did know the tune and great fun ensued. Of course, Greg took much delight in this and started to shoot away …which is where the attached came from.
He had a great eye, a great ear and a great love of the music and the people and characters who lived it.
Andy Irvine, Irish singer-songwriter

I was extremely sad to hear of the unexpected passing of Greg Duffy. He was a man I held in high esteem and respect for many years.
I first met him in Philadelphia, at The Cherry Tree, sometime around 1985/86 and we became friends immediately. As any traveling performer might say, I never had enough time to spend with him and his wife, Charlotte.
I stayed in his house in Jenkintown on a few occasions. He made a pretty good breakfast! Conversations with Greg were always witty and well informed from his side. He took a great interest in all things Irish.
In retrospect I was very happy to have made a detour in June of this year to visit the family on the occasion of Charlotte's birthday. Greg was in great form and walked me to my car when I was leaving. We had a farewell hug and I never thought it would be the last I would see of him.
A good man has passed.
Lois Kuter, longtime friend and Breton music authority
I met Greg as a fellow fan of Celtic music—and that means not just Scottish and Irish, but also Welsh, Breton, Manx, Cornish, Galician, and Asturian (when you had the luck to hear them).
I can't recall where or when I met Greg but he and Charlotte listened to the Breton music radio program I did for WXPN from the mid '80s to the mid '90s. They had impeccable taste in music—picking out the most innovative and interesting. I renewed a friendship with them at a scattering of concerts over the years.
 
I've met very few people who have such knowledge and true appreciation for the rich traditions and innovative variations of music from the Celtic world.
 
I am sure all the musicians who beat Greg to Heaven are thrilled to have him there to share the joy and beauty of their music. I am sure Johnny Cunningham has a big hug for him.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home